Created by: jht2, Last modification: Wed 09 of Aug, 2017 (19:40 UTC) by freevoice
AsteriskTap here to compare the top VoIP providersTap here to hide the top VoIP Providers
Asterisk is a complete PBX in software. It runs on Linux, BSD, Windows (emulated) and OS X and provides all of the features you would expect from a PBX and more. Asterisk does voice over IP in four protocols, and can interoperate with almost all standards-based telephony equipment using relatively inexpensive hardware.
Asterisk provides Voicemail services with Directory, Call Conferencing, Interactive Voice Response, Call Queuing. It has support for three-way calling, caller ID services, ADSI, IAX, SIP, H.323 (as both client and gateway), MGCP (call manager only) and SCCP/Skinny. Check the Features section for a more complete list.
Asterisk needs no additional hardware for Voice-over-IP, although it does expect a non-standard driver that implements dummy hardware as a non-portable timing mechanism (for certain applications such as conferencing). A single (or multiple) VOIP provider(s) can be used for outgoing and/or incoming calls (outgoing and incoming calls can be handled through entirely different VOIP and/or telco providers)
For interconnection with digital and analog telephony equipment, Asterisk supports a number of hardware devices, most notably all of the hardware manufactured by Asterisk's sponsor, Digium. Digium has single and quad span T1 and E1 interfaces for interconnection to PRI lines and channel banks . In addition, single to quad port analog FXO and FXS cards are available and are popular for small installations. Other vendors' cards can be used for BRI (ISDN2) or quad- and octo- port BRI based upon CAPI compatible cards or HFC chipset cards.
For interconnection with the cellular network (GSM or CDMA), Asterisk can use the Celliax channel driver or chan_mobile that is in the trunk now and there is also a unofficial backported version.
Lastly, standalone devices are available to do a wide range of tasks including providing fxo and fxs ports that simply plug into the LAN and register to Asterisk as an available device.
If you are looking for a software-based IP-PBX for Windows, 3CX offers a highly-regarded product.
The current release versions of Asterisk are 1.2.37, 1.4.36, 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124. 126.96.36.199, and Asterisk 1.8.0. The current beta is Asterisk 1.8 beta 5.
This Wiki covers both the stable and the development branch of Asterisk. When adding new commands, applications and options, please also add a note on *when* this was added so that users may compare with their version date.
Know All About Asterisk VoIP
November 29, 2016 –There are times when you would need to have Asterisk VoIP services for your company. This type of service has much better quality and reliability than traditional VoIP companies that are
VoIP providers that have options for call centers and businesses. You can find some great options for your required services without having to settle for minimum payments or any set monthly fees.
Daily Asterisk News
VoIP Today News
Other Asterisk News
- 2015-05-02 - DMLink releases their 8 ports GSM asterisk card.
- 2015-05-02 - DMLink releases their 8 ports E1 asterisk card.
- 2015-02-07 - 2-Way Radio over IP Solution for Asterisk
- 2014-09-04 - OpenSIPS Summit Las Vegas 2014 registration is officially open! Come experience a rich collection of workshops about OpenSIPS and Asterisk integration
- 2014-03-25 - Sequoia Mobile announces "alpha" version of Asterisk connector for Nuance ASR Recognizer
- 2014-03-13 - Agile CRM announces VoIP telephony integration. Source: PRWeb
- 2013-10-18 - Asterlook releases the Asterlook software that manages calls in Outlook with Asterisk IPBX; Press Release
- 2013-04-30 - Netfors releases chan_ss7 2.2.0 for Asterisk 11.x.
- 2013-03-28 - Asterisk 11.3 Asterisk 11.3 is the new current release.
- 2013-03-15 - DMLink releases their 24 port PCI-E asterisk analog card , runs DAHDI standard driver.
- 2013-03-15 - DMLink releases their single port PCI-E PRI asterisk card , runs DAHDI standard driver.
- 2013-03-05 - Exelysis Contact Center - The new version of Exelysis Contact Center for Asterisk is now released.
- 2012-10-20 - Asterisk compatible VXML server IEC - SIP/2.0+VXML 2.1 IVR Platform SRGS MRCP Server, Cloud/MRCP ASR/TTS , Linux/Windows Free One Channel.
- 2012-10-12 - Intuitive Voice Technology launches new reseller offering get three FREE PBX licenses for signing up.
- 2012:09:11 - Version 3.2 firmware for Zycoo ZX50 Series IP-PBX released Change log
- 2012-08-30 - DMLink releases their 4 port PCI-E asterisk card , runs DAHDI standard driver.
- 2012-04-12 - WeQ4U releases iPhone app that interfaces with their asterisk based call center queueing system.
- 2012-04-11 - DMLink releases their 8 port GSM asterisk PCI card GSM800P, runs DAHDI standard driver.
- 2012-04-11 - DMLink releases their new 24 port analog asterisk PCI card, runs DAHDI standard driver.
- 2012-03-28 - DMLink releases their online shop 2.
- 2012-03-28 - DMLink releases their online shop 1.
- 2012-03-08 - DMLink releases their 16 port PCI-E analog asterisk PCI card, runs DAHDI standard driver.
- 2012-03-07 - OpenVox Delivers The Cost Effective Tapping Application
- 2012-02-24 - OpenVox Releases Chan-Extra 2.0.1 To Add More Functions To GSM Applications
- 2012-02-14 - OpenVox Released Multiform Transcoding Solutions
- 2012-01-16 - DMLink releases their new 4 port analog asterisk PCI card, it runs DAHDI standard driver.
- 2012-01-10 - WeQ4U releases asterisk based call center queueing system. WeQ4U.
- 2011-12-27 - OpenVox Launches A Complete Asterisk-Based Appliance
- 2011-12-14 - Humbug And OpenVox Partner To Prevent Telecom Fraud
- 2011-12-09 - OpenVox Distributes New Octasic® SoftEcho Supporting DAHDI Driver
- 2011-11-29 - DMLink releases their new 16 port analog asterisk PCI card, support DAHDI standard driver, no patch needed.
- 2011-11-18 - OpenVox Announces FREE 24*7 Technical Support Program For Open Source Community
- 2011-11-15 - OpenVox Announces BRI Products Price Reduction with A Lifetime Warranty Upgrade
- 2011-08-26 - OpenVox New Embedded Asterisk Motherboard Released
- 2011-08-01 - PowerAST The World first open hardware/software designed embedded PowerPC dual core 1.2G CPU IPPBX platform (Up to 16 E1/T1/J1 with hardware EC modules supported) has been released first version.
- 2011-07-29 - Intuittech-Blog Over 600 people strong, in 7 countries. The worlds largest Asterisk organization takes shape!
- 2011-07-20 - VadaXchange Buddy version 1.0 released - new user-friendly call control interface developed on top of an Asterisk PABX. About time business PABX become user friendly!
- 2011-06-27 - Atcom PRI Cards New range launched - AX-1D, AX-2D and AX-4D. Optional Hardware Echo Cancellation module available.
- 2011-05-16 - Orderly Stats version 1.8 of OrderlyStats for Asterisk Call Centers has been released
- 2011-05-11 - Positron G1000 Asterisk Appliance Released - 150 concurrent calls
- 2011-05-10 - Positron Telecom 1U Rackmount PBX is now available
- 2011-04-22 - The Alvis-4-Ext: T1/E1 External PRI Channel Bank based on RtpBridge solution is announced by Odin TeleSystems!
- 2011-04-19 - DMLink releases their new 4 port GSM asterisk PCI card.
- 2011-04-09 - Free Asterisk Technology Day in Kuala Lumpur, 28 April 2011
- 2011-03-30 - How to add a Flash softphone to your webpage, if you use Asterisk PBX
- 2011-03-17 - Microbase CTI Microbase announced the release of Microbase CTI v2.0 - The pure Asterisk Based CTI Solution.
- 2011-03-02 - OpenVox Releases Hardware Echo Canceller for ISDN BRI Cards with LIFETIME warranty.
- 2011-02-24 - Evolution PBX 4.0 released (100's of new features) by Intuitive Voice Technology
- 2011-02-24 - DMLink releases their new 16 port analog asterisk PCI card.
- 2011-02-15 - Netfors has released version 2.0.0 of the SS7 channel driver for Asterisk, chan_ss7: Download here.
- 2011-02-02 - Intuittech Sdn Bhd launches Nagmon for Asterisk the monitoring appliance in conjunction with the DIGIUM ASTERISK WORLD 2011; Press Release
- 2011-02-02 - Membantu24 the first global Asterisk support centre is launched in conjunction with the DIGIUM ASTERISK WORLD 2011; Press Release
- 2011-02-02 - Hayibo! the softphone for the Enterprise releases the free version of its softphone in conjunction with the ITEXPO EAST 2011 in Miami; Press Release
- 2011-01-07 - Asterisk Nortel Asterisk Avaya Communications Manager with SES ,Avaya IP Office R6.0 ,BroadSoft BroadWorks
- Asterisk introduction: An overview for new Asterisk administrators - THE PLACE TO START!!
- An introduction to Asterisk, The Open Source Telephony Project - Basic setup How-To/tutorial, installation, SIP-devices and dialplan, with test applications.
- Asterisk: A Non-Technical Review (pdf): An overview for executives and managers
- Asteriskguru Tutorials A huge collection of tutorials for asterisk.
- Asterisk installation
- Asterisk IRC logs: #asterisk IRC logs
- Asterisk Mailing Lists
- Asterisk software addons
- Asterisk tips and tricks: Solutions to common problems, hints of what you can do with this powerful software
- Asterisk video training Asterisk and Linux step by step installation guide
- Asterisk video training Free videos on Asterisk, trixbox, and FreePBX
- Asterisk video training Free videos on Asterisk, trixbox, and FreePBX
- Series of video tutorials about Asterisk dial plan development
- Blindhog.net - Video Tutorials.
- Collection of tutorials for Asterisk dial plan development
- Development Which development environment is best for my voice app? (Asterisk, usually!)
- FAQ and SEARCH helper: Look for answer for the question that bugs you here!
- Free Introduction to Asterisk eBookcomplete setup tutorial
- Free video tutorials about Asterisk dial plan
- http://www.suvi.org/theory/asterisk.html Gives a good German introduction howto setup Asterisk quickly.
- Linux 101: A beginners guide to using Linux
- Linux 101: A small wiki with snippets of useful Linux info
- News, Project status and roadmap
- Systm 5 - Asterisk: Video @ YouTube
- VoIP User Groups: Local resources in your area
- Where to download Asterisk
Asterisk based Solution
- Automated Appointment Reminder System to send automatic reminders of appointments to yourself, staff, clients, prospects and other business entities via call, SMS, fax, email
- Automated Ticketing IVR System to book tickets of flight, bus, train, movie, etc. using an interactive voice response system.
- Bicom Systems PBXware is an IP PBX turnkey business communications platform that is flexible, reliable, and scalable. PBXware was the first ever GUI for Asterisk, presented at Astricon in 2004, setting the standard for others to follow. Available in Business, Multi-Tenant, and Call Center Editions.
- CRM Integrated IVR System is an effective tool to cater your customers in a personalized manner.
Administration and system layout
- Asterisk CLI: The interactive command prompt language
- Asterisk GUI: Web and other interfaces to Asterisk for management and configuration
- Asterisk Manager API: The Asterisk Manager API
- Asterisk options: Command line switches when you start your Asterisk PBX
- Asterisk Zeroconf Support: Service Discovery for Asterisk using Zeroconf
- DooxSwitch.com: Asterisk based advanced managment and communication solution. Routing, Billing, PBX, IVR menu, Callshop, Callcenter, DID shop , SMS, Calling Cards , Dialers , Softphones flexible API and many more.
SIP Service ProvidersDIDForSale SIP Trunking - DIDForSale provides largest coverage over US, UK and Canada. Offer Unlimited SIP Trunking Service for businesses.
Cebod Telecom provides SIP trunks, Virtual PBX telephony solutions, internet services for small to mid-sized enterprises, and larger companies delivering high- quality voice, premium features and unified communications. The company offers a state-of-the-art Pay-Per-Line business phone service model, empowering businesses to pay per line as opposed to paying per user in the company. In addition offers all-inclusive premium IP PBX and dial tone features including auto attendant, call tracking, call logs, music on hold, call forwarding, voicemail, call queue, conference bridge, e-Fax, and SMS and more. High call quality, unlimited user extensions, and unlimited calling within USA and Canada are some of the benefits also offered for each phone plan. Contact us today for a free demo.
- DIDLive provides Asterisk SIP Inbound Service. Local DID Numbers in USA/Canada & 40 other countries. USA/Canada Toll Free Numbers.
Weekly SIP Asterisk Users Conference
- x2z.eu http://www.x2z.eu/ THis conference is open to users at all levels of asterisk expertise
Interesting and Unusual Projects
- Village Telco Using Asterisk in a WiFi Mesh network to provide phone service in rural areas
Howtos and Tutorials